Monday 27 December 2010

Humbled by the Marvellous Toy.


I just watched a video interview of Rod Humble(Linden labs new CEO) being interviewed by the Gnoriad. The first thing that struck me was ooh he's a Brit XD. This is good there's a fundamental difference between Brits and Yanks and that is enthusiasm and motivation .By nature the Brits hate all that shit. that isn't to say were not enthusiastic and motivated just we don't believe staring wide eyed at u and punching the sky will polish the proverbial turd. The second thing was something I'd never really considered and that's the difference between a toy and a game. Secondlife is a toy he didn't say that he was talking about the products he'd developed but it's a toy. It doesn't have rules and an objective like a game does, anyone u meet new in Secondlife will ask what their suppose to do assuming it's a game.

People who spend time in SL know it's not a game have they thought of it as a toy before? I always thought of it as a chat room with shoes but this never fitted my experience as u could have read in my previous posts, but a toy? I'm comparing it to the first day at playschool you enter the world nervously alone, unsure of yourself and what is expected of you. Slowly u discover the toy box this isn't an actual box in SL, but it is similar. imagine the playschool toy box and what it contains dolls, hats and clothes toy cars building blocks. Slowly you begin to play with the toys, and as you gain confidence others start to join in and play along with you and that is Secondlife

It went "zip" when it moved and "bop" when it stopped,
And "whirr" when it stood still.
I never knew just what it was and I guess I never will. (T.Paxton)

No comments:

Post a Comment